header banner zone

Yesil Cami

The two minarets are after additions to the building. They were both rebuilt on an old abject by Parvillée. They accept been adapted with rock spires carved in the bizarre address at the time of renovation. They can alone be accessed through the sultan’s apartments and the aggressive up the ambagious stairs to the attics.

Ye?il Cami (Green Mosque), aswell accepted as Abbey of Mehmed I is a allotment of the aloft circuitous (a kulliya) amid on the east ancillary of Bursa, Turkey, the basic of the Ottoman Turks afore they captured Constantinople in 1453. The circuitous consists of a mosque, tomb (Turkish : türbe), madrasah, kitchen and bath.


MihrabIt was commissioned by Absolutist Mehmed I Çelebi and completed in December 1419 or January 1420. The abbey was congenital amid 1419–1421 by artist vezir Hac? ?vaz Pa?a. Following the convulsion in 1855, the architectonics underwent an all-encompassing advance led by artist Léon Parvillée, as Ahmet Vefik Pasha, the Vali (governor) of Bursa, was clumsy to acquisition a able Turkish architect. Parvillée managed to save the abbey but he lacked acquaintance of the Seljukian and aboriginal Ottoman architecture. He was aswell bedfast by shortages of money and accomplished labour. The aboriginal decorations of the vaults and the walls were not restored. But his blanch was conceivably to be adopted over adulterated attempts at breeding old paintwork.


The architectural appearance accepted as Bursa Appearance begins with Ye?il Cami. The abbey is based on a about-face T-plan with a antechamber at the access accomplished to a axial anteroom belted by eyvans on the east and west and a aloft eyvan with mihrab alcove on the south. Two baby eyvans abut the aperture aloft which the aristocratic box (hünkar mahfili) is located. There are four apartment with fireplaces to the arctic and south of ancillary eyvans accessed through the antechamber and the axial anteroom respectively. Stairs on both abandon of the antechamber advance to the high attic breadth the aristocratic abode and two adjoining apartment for the aristocratic women are located. Here, a access opens to the balconies on the arctic bluff breadth the minaret accomplish begin. A balustrade was advised but never built, because, if the absolutist died, plan on his clandestine abbey would stop.


Entrance with stalactite-filled half-domeThe ample access to the abbey is belted by recessed marble sofas with accompanying cubby-holes (papuçluks) for the shoes. Aloft the aperture is a continued Arabic inscription in bronze. The aperture is crowned by a half- accomplished with a avalanche of stalactites that abate into a star. The collapsed face of the half-dome, set in a ribbed frame, is adorned with arabesques and inscriptions in Rumi scripts. Amid the inscription and the stalactites is a baby window that lights the attic of the antechamber to the sultan’s box. Aloft the niches on anniversary ancillary of the access aperture is an inscription committed to Hac? ?vaz, son of Ahi Beazit who advised the mosque. As Ahi Beazit was the prefect and after the governor of Bursa, it not acceptable that he would accept been the architect. But he would accept anxious with administering the work. The architect would apparently accept relied on the teamwork and the adroitness of the Mason’s Guild to assassinate his plans.

Entering the abbey one sees a bubbler with an atramentous cup. Aloft it rises a accomplished with a lantern. On one’s larboard and appropriate ancillary are two ample eyvans (a alveolate alcove accessible on one side).

The walls of the close antechamber are covered with aphotic blooming tiles and, on anniversary side, a abundant amphitheater abounding with blue, white and golden-yellow arabesques of tendrils and flowers.

The autogenous of the abbey is busy with a circuitous of blue-green tiles on the walls and beam of the eyvans, from which it gets its name. (The exteriors with its domes, now clad with lead, were already aswell adorned with blue-green tiles in cuerda seca style).

Richly busy eyvanOne ascends from the antechamber to adoration anteroom via three steps. This amount is belted on anniversary ancillary by three cubby-holes (papuçluk) for slippers. This shows the the antechamber was paved and not carpeted as nowadays. Opposite stands the mihrab, the aboideau to paradise, with its moulded asphalt frame. Its alcove is crowned by twelve rows of stalactites, advancing calm in a six-ribbed carapace on top. The intricate arrangement of the tiles, abounding of flowers and entwining stems, was accomplished through the cuerda seca technique, followed by able beautification patterns.

Recessed on anniversary ancillary of the antechamber are mahfils (tribune for müezzins), abundantly busy with tiles and whose ceilings are abounding with circuitous airy arabesques. The abysmal dejected hexagonal wainscot tiles are somewhat beneath intricate, with traces of gold embedded. The two tabhane (lodging apartment for travellers) rooms, aloft the eyvans, accommodate niches and ocaks (fireplaces with a alpine hood). A calligraphic inscription in three curve is put in an accomplished over one of its doors.

Calligraphic inscriptions over a doorThe arctic eyvans, the aristocratic abode and the mihrab are bizarre with tiles address polychromic annual motifs and scriptures in relief. There are abounding 19th aeon replacements a part of the tiles. There is aswell little larboard of the polychromic paintwork that acclimated to adorn the rooms. The doors and window shutters are adorned with interlaced motifs carved on wood. Light alcove the dim autogenous through windows broken into drums in the domes as able-bodied as through windows on exoteric walls. An oculus aloft the ablution basin in the axial anteroom was amid with a lantern at the time of restoration. A scripture in the mihrab breadth acknowledges “the plan of Masters of Tabriz” on the tiles, and the name Nakkas Ali bin Ilyas Ali appears aloft the aristocratic box as artist of the absolute adorning scheme.

The abbey is congenital out of sandstone and clad with marble panels, a majority of which was replaced in the nineteenth century. Annual designs and scriptures carved in marble anatomy the access and the windows, with a altered architecture featured in tympana of every window. The admirable access and the mihrab niches on the arctic bluff are crowned with marble stalactite half-domes.

The two minarets are after additions to the building. They were both rebuilt on an old abject by Parvillée. They accept been adapted with rock spires carved in the bizarre address at the time of renovation. They can alone be accessed through the sultan’s apartments and the aggressive up the ambagious stairs to the attics.

No tags for this post.

Get a Trackback link

No Comments Yet - You can be the first to comment!

Leave a comment

XHTML: Allowed tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Keywords: Yesil Cami , Yesil Cami turkey, Yesil Cami what, Yesil Cami about, Yesil Cami turkish, Yesil Cami turk, Yesil Cami turkiye, Yesil Cami where, Yesil Cami istanbul